History of the Institute
A portrait of Sir Leon Radzinowicz, founding director of the Institute. Drawn in 1967.
Sir Leon Radzinowicz established the Department of Criminal Science in the Faculty of Law during World War II, and in 1959 went on to found the Institute of Criminology, and also become the first Wolfson Professor of Criminology. The Wolfson Professor of Criminology is a senior professorship within the University. The position was the first of it's kind in the United Kingdom and was established by the Wolfson Foundation.
4 Scroope Terrace, the Institute's first premises. This is now the main entrance to the department of History of Art.
The Wolfson Foundation stated that it's foundation grant for the Institute 'was made on the understanding that suitable and permanent accommodation would be provided by the University' (Wolfson Foundation 1960, pp.16-17). The University, however, was initially unable to meet this requirement. Two interim steps were taken: First, the Institute was granted use of some existing University premises, initially from 1959-62 at 4 Scroope Terrace (pictured, left), and then from Easter 1962 at 7 West Road, part of the University's then developing Sidgwick Site, where a number of departments in humanities and social sciences were being housed. No. 7 was explicitly assigned to the Institute as 'temporary premises', but this 'temporary' occupation lasted over 40 years! The new building, in the heart of the Sidgwick Site and current premises, was opened in 2005.
7 West Road, the Institute's 'temporary' location. This has now been demolished to make way for a new building to house other departments.