Dr. Andrea Lehner is currently a Visiting Researcher at Criminology. She works on plea agreements and other forms of consensual disposal of criminal cases in different legal cultures for which she received an Erwin Schroedinger Fellowship from the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
Andrea completed her PhD in law analysing the Austrian and German criminal offences against terrorist financing at the University of Vienna (Austria) in 2014. Next to a comparative analysis, the thesis covers the international and European legal instruments against terrorist financing and examines the relationship between the offences against terrorist financing and money laundering. She did her Master Studies (graduation in 2005) in law at the University of Vienna and at the Charles University Prague during which she also specialised in Criminal Justice and Criminology.
From 2008 to May 2014 she worked as a Teaching and Research Associate at the Department of Criminal Law and Criminology at the University of Vienna. From May to November 2014 she was a Research Associate at the Institute of Austrian and European Economic Criminal Law at the Vienna University of Economics and Business. Prior to 2008 she completed her legal clerkship at various Viennese courts and worked as an associate for a Vienna based law firm.
Andrea participated in several projects for various EU institutions. From 2011 to 2013 she was a researcher in the project "Preparatory study for an impact assessment on a new legislative instrument replacing the Council Framework Decision 2004/757/JHA on illicit drug trafficking" on behalf of the European Commission. In 2013 and 2014 she participated in a comparative study on penalties in drug trafficking cases on behalf of the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction. Currently she is engaged in a study on Minimum Sanctions in EU Member States for the European Commission.
Her research interests are focused on Criminal Procedure Law, Terrorism, European Criminal Law and White Collar Crime.
- Lehner, The Austrian model of attributing criminal responsibility to legal entities, in Brodowski/Espinoza de los Monteros de la Parra/Tiedemann/Vogel (Hrsg), Regulating Corporate Criminal Liability (2014), pp. 79-86
- Kert/Lehner, Content and Impact of Approximation - The case of Drug Trafficking, in De Biolley/Galli/Weyembergh (eds.), Approximation of Substantive Criminal Law in the EU: the Way Forward (2013), pp. 169-188
- Kert/Lehner, Austria, in Ligeti (ed.), Toward a Prosecutor for the European Union, Volume 1: A comparative analysis, Hart Publishing (2012), pp. 9-57
- Lehner, Strafrecht [Criminal Law], in Bergmann/Ratka (Eds.), Handbuch Personengesellschaften, Linde Verlag 2011, pp. 979-1021
- Lehner, Grundlagen der verdeckten Ermittlung [Principles of Infiltration], Juristische Ausbildung und Praxisvorbereitung (JAP) 2008/09, pp. 68-73
- Lehner, Die Beweislastverteilung bei der GmbH-Geschäftsführerhaftung [Allocating the Onus of Proof for the Liability of Managing Directors of a Company with Limited Liability], Der Gesellschafter 2005, pp. 128-133
- Lehner, Prison Sentence - Delay of deferral of enforcement without reasoning as a violation of Article 5 ECHR, Vienna Online Journal on International Constitutional Law (2012) Volume 6 - Issue 2, pp. 294-297
- Lehner, Fantasiegeld als Falschgeld? [Fancy money as counterfeit money?] JAP 2012/2013, pp. 4-7
- Kert/Lehner, Country Report Austria for the study Evaluation of the legal framework applicable to combating terrorism in the EU Member States, ECLAN 2013 (35 pages), unpublished
- Lehner, Country Report Austria on "Section 1: General Part" for the XIX. International Congress "Information Society and Penal Law" of AIDP, Revue Internationale de Droit Pénal, No. 1-2, 2013, CD ROM (20 pages)
- Kert/Lehner, Report on the evaluation of the transposition and impacts of the Framework Decision 2004/757/JHA on drug trafficking, European Union 2013, https://bookshop.europa.eu/en/home/ (105 pages)
- Kert/Lehner, Country Report Austria on "Criminal Investigation and Prosecution of Crimes Affecting the Financial Interest of the EU - the Member States` dimension", http://www.eppo-project.eu/ (187 pages)
- Lehner, Warrant Issued for Sudan's Leader, Global View, 02/2009, pp. 8-9
- Höpfel/Lehner, Gefährliche Substanzen im Visier [Hazardous Substances in Focus], Global View 02/2009, p. 21
- Lehner, Kampf um gestohlene Gelder [Stolen Assets Recovery Initiative], Global View, 04/2007, pp. 10-11
- Lehner, Todesstrafe in Japan [Death Penalty in Japan], Global View, 03/2007, pp. 24-25M
|Oct 2014||Minimum Sanctions in the EU Member States, Meeting of Expert Group on EU Criminal Policy, European Commission, Brussels
|April 2014||EU Policy in Drug Trafficking - The Council Framework Decision 2004/757/JHA on illicit drug trafficking and its implementation in Member States, International Spring Course "EU Substantive Criminal Law and Protection of Victims", University of Zagreb, Dubrovnik
|July 2013||Der Einfluss internationaler und europäischer Rechtssetzungsinstrumente auf die Kodifikation des österreichischen Strafrechts am Beispiel der Terrorismusgesetzgebung [The influence of International and European law-making instruments on the Austrian codification of criminal law], Summer School in Pécs "Codification of Criminal Law"
|June 2013||The Austrian model of attributing criminal responsibility to legal entities, Third AIDP Symposium for Young Penalists on Corporate Criminal Liability, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich
|June 2012||Bomben brauchen Geld - Die Strafbarkeit der Terrorismusfinanzierung [Bombs need Money - The Criminalization of Terrorism Financing], Brown Bag Seminar on Economic and Financial Criminal Law, University of Vienna
|May 2012||Policy options for a new EU legal instrument to combat illicit drug trafficking, Workshop of the European Commission, Brussels
|April 2012||Content and Impact of Approximation - The case of Drug Trafficking (together with Robert Kert), Conference "Approximation of Substantive Criminal Law in the EU: The Way Forward", Institut d'études européennes, Université Libre de Bruxelles
|Dec 2011||The transposition of the Framework Decision 2004/757/JHA on illicit drug trafficking into national laws, European Commission, Steering Committee, Brussels
|Nov 2011||Presentation of first results of the study on the impact of Framework Decision 2004/757/JHA on illicit drug trafficking, European Commission, Brussels
|April 2010||Die Kriminalisierung der Terrorismusfinanzierung in Österreich unter Berücksichtigung internationaler Vorgaben und rechtsvergleichender Aspekte [The Criminalization of Terrorism Financing in Austria in Consideration of International Standards and Aspects of Comparative Law], Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law, Freiburg i. Br.
|May 2008||Grundlagen der verdeckten Ermittlung [Principles of Infiltration], University Center Obergurgl