Dr Peter NeyroudLecturer in Evidence-Based Policing
Dr Peter Neyroud
Lecturer in Evidence-Based Policing
Peter Neyroud is a Lecturer in Evidence-based Policing. He has been at the Institute since 2010, following a 30-year career in the police service. He has been a Resident Scholar at the Jerry Lee Centre for Experimental Criminology managing a major research programme, Operation Turning Point; a randomised controlled trial testing offender desistance policing. He has taught senior police leaders and advised governments across the world and in the UK on criminal justice reform. His research interests centre on field experiments in policing, pre-court diversion, crime harm and the implementation and leadership of change in criminal justice agencies.
Peter served for 30 years as a police officer in Hampshire, West Mercia and as Chief Constable of Thames Valley. He set up and ran the National Policing Improvement Agency as CEO. In 2010, he carried out the "Review of Police Leadership and Training" which led to the establishment of the new "National College of Policing", in 2012. He has been an independent reviewer of the Parole Board, a member of the Sentencing Guidelines Council and on both the National Policing and National Criminal Justice Boards.
He is the Vice-Chair of the Internet Watch Foundation. He was awarded the Queens Police Medal in 2004 and a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List in 2011.
(a) Publications whilst in the police service 1980-2010:
- Neyroud, P.W. (1981). The Havant Policing Scheme - an evaluation. Winchester: Hampshire Constabulary.
- Neyroud, P.W. (1984). Crime Pattern Analysis for policing - an evaluation. Winchester: Hampshire Constabulary.
- Neyroud, P.W. (1992). Multi-agency approaches to racial harassment - the lessons of implementing the Racial Attacks Group Report. New Community, 18,4, 567-579 (reporting the findings of M.Sc Dissertation on Multi-agency approaches to Racial Harassment).
- Neyroud, P.W. and Beckley, A. (2001). Policing, Ethics and Human Rights. Cullompton, Devon: Willan.
- Neyroud, P.W. (2001). Participation in policing. London: IPPR.
- Neyroud, P.W. (2003). Police Ethics. In Newburn, T. (Ed.). Handbook of Policing. Cullompton, Devon: Willan.
- Neyroud, P.W. (2006). Ethics in Policing: Performance and the Personalisation of Accountability in British Policing and Criminal Justice. Legal Ethics, 9, 1, 16-35.
- Neyroud, P.W. and Disley, E. (2007). The Management, supervision and oversight of criminal investigations. In Newburn, T., Williamson,T. and Wright, A. (Eds.). Handbook of Criminal Investigation. Cullompton, Devon: Willan.
- Newburn, T. and Neyroud, P.W. (Eds.) (2008). Dictionary of Policing. Cullompton, Devon: Willan.
(b) Publications since 2010:
- Sherman, L.W. and Neyroud, P.W. (2010). Offender Desistance Policing. London: Civitas
- Weisburd, D.W. and Neyroud, P.W. (2011) Police Science: Towards a New Paradigm. Washington: National Institute of Justice.
- Neyroud, P.W. (2011). More Police, less prison, less crime? From Peel to Popper: the case for more scientific policing. Criminology and public policy, 10,1,77-85.
- Neyroud, P.W. (2011a), Review of Police Leadership and Training London: Home Office.
- Neyroud, P.W. (2011b), Leading Policing in the 21st Century: Leadership, democracy, deficits and the new professionalism. Public Money and Management, Vol. 31, 5, September, 347-355
- MacVean, A. and Neyroud, P.W. (2012). Policing, Ethics and Values. Canterbury: Learning Matters.
- Neyroud, P.W. and Gilmour, S. (2013). Through a glass darkly - some future influences on professional standards in policing? In MacVean, A. (Ed.). The Handbook of Professional Standards. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Neyroud, P.W. and Sherman, L.W. (2013). Dialogue and Dialectic: Police Legitimacy and the New Professionalism In Tankebe, J. and Liebling, A. (Eds.). Legitimacy in Criminal Justice. Oxford: OUP.
- Neyroud, P.W. (2014). Evidence-based Triage in Prosecuting Arrestees: Testing an Actuarial System of Selective Targeting. International Criminal Justice Review, 25,1, 117-132.
- Slothower, M.P., Sherman, L.W. and Neyroud, P.W. (2014). Tracking Quality of Police Actions in a Victim Contact Program: a Case Study of Training, Tracking and Feedback (TTF) in Evidence-based Policing. International Criminal Justice Review, 25,1, 98-117.
- Neyroud, P.W. (2016). The Ethics of Learning by Testing: The Police, Professionalism and Researching the Police Cowburn, M., Gelsthorpe, L. and Wahidin, A. (Eds.) Research Ethics in Criminology -Dilemmas, issues and Solutions. London: Routledge.
- Sherman, L.W., Neyroud, P.W. and Neyroud, E.C. (2016). The Cambridge Crime Harm Index: Measuring total harm from crime based on sentencing guideline. Policing, Online Publication February.