Dr. Caroline LanskeyLecturer in Applied Criminology
Dr. Caroline Lanskey
Lecturer in Applied Criminology
Dr Caroline Lanskey is an affiliated lecturer at the Institute of Criminology. Her core research interests stem from her cross-disciplinary experience of education and criminology and include youth justice, with a particular focus on educational issues, citizenship and migration, youth voice and participation, the experiences of prisoners' families and research methodologies. Since joining the Institute she has worked on a number of research projects: an evaluation of a training intervention for staff in secure settings for young people; an ESRC postdoctoral research fellowship on the education of young people in custody; a study of risk and protective factors associated with the resettlement of imprisoned fathers with their families; and an analysis of criminal justice processes through the eyes of families bereaved through homicide. She has set up the Education and Youth Justice website: http://www.edyj.org.uk/ as a hub for information on education of young people in the youth justice system and has recently completed a project on the education pathways of young people in the youth justice system funded by the Society for Educational Studies. A summary of the research is available HERE. Dr Lanskey teaches and supervises students on the MPhil, Diploma and MSt in Applied Criminology. She is a visiting research fellow at the Open University’s International Centre for Comparative Criminological Research and a member of the ESRC peer review college.
- Lanskey, C., Lösel, F., Markson, L.,& Souza, K. (2016) Children's contact with their imprisoned father and the father-child relationship after his release. Families, Relationships and Societies 5(1) 43-58.
- Lanskey C, (2015) Up or down and out? A systemic analysis of young people's educational pathways in the youth justice system in England and Wales. International Journal of Inclusive Education 19(6) 568-582.
- Lanskey C., Lösel. F, Markson, L., & Souza, K. (2015) Re-framing the analysis: a 3-dimensional perspective of prisoners' children's well-being. Children and Society 29(5) 484-494.
- Jack, A., Lanskey, C., & Harvey, J. (2015) Young offenders' and their families' experiences of mental health interventions. Journal of Children's Services, 10(4) 353-364.
- Markson, L., Lösel, F., Souza, K. A., & Lanskey, C. (2015). Male prisoners' family relationships and resilience in resettlement. Criminology & Criminal Justice. 15(4) 423-441.
- Souza, K., Lösel, F., Markson, L., & Lanskey, C. (2015) Pre-Release Expectations and Post-Release Experiences of Prisoners and their (Ex-)Partners. Legal and Criminal Psychology 20(2) 306-323.
- Lanskey, C. (2011) Promise or Compromise? Education for Young People in Secure Institutions in England. Youth Justice Journal 11 (1):47-60.
- Lanskey, C., Rudduck J. (2010) Pupil voice and leadership, Elsevier International Encyclopedia of Education, 3rd edition. 803-808.
- Lanskey, C. (2010) Citizenship Education For Young People in Secure Institutions in England and Wales. Educação, Sociedade & Culturas, 30 : 41-56
- Lanskey, C. (2014), Children in Custody: Anglo-Russian Perspectives by M. McAuley. London: Bloomsbury (2010) 274pp. £50.00hb ISBN 978-1-84-966000-6 . The Howard Journal of Criminal Justice, 53: 31317. doi: 10.1111/hojo.12081.
- Lanskey, C. (2013) Emma Hughes, ‘Education in Prison: Studying Through Distance Learning Australian Journal of Criminology 46: 311-313.
- Lanskey C, Mueller-Johnson K, Erskine, E & Murray, R. (2014) Justice, Prosecution and the Courts: perspectives of families bereaved through homicide in Northern Ireland. ESC Annual Conference, Prague, September 2014.
- Mueller-Johnson, K., Caroline Lanskey, C., Erskine, E., & Murray R., (2014) Families bereaved through homicide in Northern Ireland: Experiences with police investigation and victim support. ESC Annual Conference, Prague, September 2014.
- Lanskey C (2013) Re-shaping the Analysis: A 3-Dimensional Perspective of Prisoners’ Children’s Experiences. Invisible Victims Conference. University of West Scotland, May 2013.
- Markson L, Souza K, Lanskey C, Pugh G, Lösel F (2011) Predictors of the Adjustment of Children of Prisoners after Release. American Society of Criminology Conference, November 2011.
- Souza K, Markson L, Lanskey C, Pugh G, Lösel F(2011) Risk and Protective Factors in the Resettlement of Prisoners and Their Families. American Society of Criminology Conference, November 2011.
- Lanskey, C (2010) Authenticity, Integrity and the Representation of Young People’s Voice: Challenges Facing Researchers in Secure Settings. Presented to British Society of Criminology Conference, July 2010.
- Lanskey, C (2009) Citizenship Education in Secure Institutions for Young People: Reflections on Policy and Practice presented to BERA conference, September 2009.
- Lanskey, C (2009) ‘Voice, Agency and the Education of Young People in Secure Institutions’ presented to European Society of Criminology conference, September 2009.
- Lanskey, C (2009) A Case for Widening the Perspective on the Education of Young People in Custody presented to British Society of Criminology conference, July 2009.
- Lanskey, C (2008) Evaluation Of A Staff Transformation Initiative In Two Secure Locations For Young People presented to British Society of Criminology conference, July 2008.
- Lanskey, C (2005) Student Autonomy: Coherence and Dissonance in Practice presented to British Educational Research Association conference, September 2005.
- Rudduck J, Arnot M, Reay D, Lanskey, C (2002) Student Consultation, Community and the Democratic Tradition presented to American Education Research Association conference, April 2002.
- British Society of Criminology
- European Society of Criminology
- British Educational Research Association
- Society for Educational Studies
- Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain