Dr. Ben Crewe
Navigation: | Biography | Research | Publications | Ph.D. Supervision
Research monographs and edited collections
- Crewe, B. and Bennett, J. (eds.) (2012) The Prisoner. London: Routledge.
- Crewe, B. (2009) The Prisoner Society: Power, Adaptation and Social Life in an English Prison. Oxford: OUP, Clarendon.
- Bennett, J., Crewe, B. and Wahidin, A. (eds.) (2008) Understanding Prison Staff. Cullompton. Willan.
- Crewe, B. (2003) Representing Men: Cultural Production and Producers in the Men's Magazine Market. Oxford: Berg
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Crewe, B., Hulley, S. and Wright, S. (in press) ‘Swimming with the tide: adapting to long-term imprisonment’, Justice Quarterly.
- Crewe, B. and Liebling, A. (2015) ‘Governing governors’, Prison Service Journal 222, 3-10.
- Wright, S., Crewe, B. and Hulley, S. (2016) 'Suppression, denial, sublimation: early adaptations to long-term imprisonment', Theoretical Criminology, online publication April.
- Crewe, B. and Liebling, A. (2015) 'Staff culture, authority and prison violence', Prison Service Journal 221, 9.
- Hulley, S., Crewe, B. and Wright, S. (2016) 'Re-examining the problems of long-term imprisonment', British Journal of Criminology, 56(4): 769-792.
- Ievins, A. and Crewe, B. (2015) 'Nobody's better than you, nobody's worse than you': Social relationships among prisoners convicted of sex offences' Punishment and Society, 17(4): 482-501.
- Crewe, B. (2015) 'Inside the belly of the beast: understanding and conceptualising the experience of imprisonment', in Tubex, H.and Eriksson, A. (eds) The International Journal for Crime, Justice and Social Democracy 4(1), 50-65
- Crewe, B., Liebling, A., Padfield, N. and Virgo, G. (2015) 'Joint Enterprise: the implications of an unfair and unclear law', Criminal Law Review Issue 4, 252-269.
- Crewe, B., Liebling, A., and Hulley, S. (2014) 'Staff-prisoner relationships, staff professionalism and the use of authority in public and private sector prisons', Law and Social Inquiry, 40(2), 309-344.
- Crewe, B., Liebling, A. and Hulley, S. (2014) 'Heavy-light, absent-present: Re-thinking the 'weight' of imprisonment', British Journal of Sociology 65 (3), p387-410
- Crewe, B. (2014) 'Not looking hard enough: masculinity, emotion and prison research', Qualitative Inquiry, April 2014,
- Crewe, B., Bennett, P., Smith, A. and Warr, J. (2014) 'The emotional geography of prison life', Theoretical Criminology
18(1), 1 56-74
- Hulley, S., Liebling, A. and Crewe, B. (2012) 'Respect in prisons: Prisoners' experiences of respect in public and private sector
prisons' Criminology and Criminal Justice February 2012 12: 3-23
- Crewe, B. (2011) 'Depth, weight, tightness: Revisiting the pains of imprisonment', Punishment and Society, 13( 5) 509-529,
for special issue on 'Revisiting the pains of imprisonment', edited by Crewe, B. and Jewkes, Y.
- Crewe, B. (2011) 'Soft power in prison: Implications for staff-prisoner relationships, liberty and legitimacy', European
Journal of Criminology 8(6) 455-468
- Crewe, B. Liebling, A. and Hulley. S. (2011) 'Staff culture, the use of authority, and prisoner outcomes in public and
private prisons' Australia and New Zealand Journal of Criminology. 44(1): 94-115.
- Liebling, A., Crewe, B. and Hulley, S. (2011) 'Values and practices in public and private sector prisons: A summary of
key findings from an evaluation', Prison Service Journal, 196, 55-58.
Book chapters and miscellaneous publications
- Liebling, A., Schmidt, B., Crewe, B., Auty, K., Armstrong, R., Akoensi, T., Kant, D., Ludlow, A. And Ievins, A. (2015) 'Birmingham prison: the transition from public to private sector and its impact on staff and prisoner quality of life - a three year study', National Offender Management Service analytic summary. www.gov.uk
- Crewe, B. and Ievins, A (2015) 'Closeness, distance and honesty in prison research', in D. Drake, R. Earle, and J. Sloan (eds) The International Handbook of Prison Ethnography. London: Palgrave, 124-142
- Crewe, B. (in progress) 'Subcultural adaptations to incarceration', in J. Wooldredge and P. Smith (eds) The Oxford Handbook
on Prisons and Imprisonment. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Crewe, B. and Liebling, A. (in press) 'Quality, professionalism, and the distribution of power in public and private sector
prisons', in Hucklesby, A. and Lister, S. (eds) The Private Sector and Criminal Justice
- Liebling, A. and Crewe, B. (forthcoming) 'Staff-prisoner relationships, moral performance, and privatisation', in McNeill,
F. and Durnescu, I. (eds) Understanding Penal Practices
- Crewe, B. (2013) 'Compliance and resistance in prisons', in Raynor, P. and Ugwudike, P. (eds.) What Works in Offender
Compliance? International Perspectives and Evidence-Based Practice, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Liebling, A. and Crewe, B. (2012) 'Prisons beyond the new penology: the shifting moral foundations of prison management',
in J. Simon and R. Sparks (eds.) Handbook of Punishment and Society. London: Sage.
- Liebling, A. and Crewe, B. (2012) 'Prison life, penal power, and prison effects', in M. Maguire, R. Morgan, and R. Reiner
(eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Criminology. Oxford: OUP.
- Crewe, B. and Liebling, A. (2012) 'Insider views of private sector competition', in Helyar-Cardwell, V. (eds.)
Delivering Justice: The role of the public, private and voluntary sectors in the prison system. Criminal Justice Alliance
- Liebling, A., Hulley, S. and Crewe, B. (2011), 'Conceptualising and Measuring the Quality of Prison Life', in Gadd, D.,
Karstedt, S. and Messner, S. (eds.) The Sage Handbook of Criminological Research Methods. London: Sage.
- Crewe, B. and Liebling, A. (2011) 'Are liberal humanitarian penal values and practices exceptional?', in Ugelvik, T.
And Dullum, J. (eds.) Penal Exceptionalism?: Nordic Prison Policy and Practice. Cullompton: Willan.
- Crewe, B. (2009) 'Gresham Sykes', in Hayward, K., Maruna, S. and Mooney, J. (eds.) Fifty Key Thinkers in Criminology.