Dr. Barak ArielJerry Lee Fellow in Experimental Criminology and Lecturer in Experimental Criminology
Dr. Barak Ariel
Jerry Lee Fellow in Experimental Criminology and Lecturer in Experimental Criminology
Ph.D. (Criminology) Institute of Criminology, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University (2009); LL.M. Hebrew University (2007); Law Practicing Certificate (2007); LL.B. (Specialisation in Criminal Law and Criminology), Ramat Gan College of Law (Honours Thesis) (2006); M.A. (Criminology) Institute of Criminology, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University (2003); B.A. (Psychology) CUNY New York (1997)
Area of Research Deterrence Theory and social Control, Compliance, Evidence-Based Policy, Research Methods and Experimental Criminology, Policing,
As the chief analyst of the Jerry Lee Centre of Experimental Criminology, Barak is involved in several field experiments on police tactics in partnership with forces in the UK and abroad, including hotspot policing, restorative justice, use of cameras in police operations, informal crime control, and tax compliance.
Barak is working in collaboration with Professor Lawrence Sherman and Dr. Heather Strang on Restorative Justice Trials, as well as in collaboration with Professor David Farrington on blocked randomised experiments. Barak is also working on a series of systematic reviews for the Campbell Collaboration, as well as other methodological issues related to experiments in Criminology.
- Ariel B., Sherman, L. and Vila, J. (2012) "Random Assignment without Tears: How to Stop Worrying and Love the Cambridge Randomizer." Journal of Experimental Criminology 8(2): 193-208.
- Ariel, B. (2012) "Deterrence and moral persuasion effects on corporate tax compliance: findings from a randomized controlled trial."Criminology 50(1): 27-69.
- Mills, L., Barocas, B., Ariel, B. (2012) "The Next Generation of Court-Mandated Domestic Violence Treatment: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Restorative Justice." (Journal of Experimental Criminology) [provisional accept]
- Ariel, B. (2011) "Tax Compliance in Israel: An Experiment." Eyunei Mishpat - Tel-Aviv University Law Review 34: 393-436.
- Alm, J., Ariel, B., Erard, B., Kopczuk, W., Scholz, J. (2011). "Theoretical Research in Tax Compliance." Internal Revenue Services.
- Ariel, B. (2011). "The Criminal Justice System: Review of Danny Gimshi Book: Criminology." Israeli Criminology 1: 99-112.
- Ariel, B., and Farrington, D. (2010) "Randomised Block Designs." In David Weisburd and Alex Piquero (Eds.) Handbook of Quantitative Criminology. New York: Springer Verlaag.
- Weisburd, D., Shoham, E., Ariel, B., Menspeizer, M., Gideon, L. (2010). "Can we decrease recidivism rates of addicted prisoners using a Therapeutic-Community based prison? Lessons from a quasi-experimental study in Israel." Megamot (2): 236-253.
- Ajzenstadt, M. and Ariel, B. (2008). "Terrorism and risk management: The Israeli case." Punishment and Society 10(4): 355-374.
- Ajzenstadt, M. and Ariel, B. (2007). "Counter-Terrorism Policy and Risk Assessment." The Jerusalem Criminal Justice Study Group Working Papers Issue 17, the Faculty of Law, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Ajzenstadt, M. and Ariel, B. (2006). "Providing Civil Legal Aid." Zarkorim.
- Weisburd, D., Shoham, E., Ariel, B., Menspeizer, M. and Gideon, L. (2005). "Follow Up Research on Released Prisoners from Sharon Prison - a Final Report." National Authority for the War on Drugs.
Registered Protocols with the Campbell Collaboration for Systematic Reviews
- Ariel, B. and Sherman, L. "Mandatory Arrest for misdemeanour Domestic Violence Effects On Repeat Offending" (provisional accept)
- Ariel, B., and Taylor F. "Electronic Monitoring of Offenders: A Systematic Review of Its Effects on Recidivism Rates in the Criminal Justice System" (provisional accept)
- Ariel, B. and Sherman, L. "A Meta-Analytic Review of the Effect of Tax Letters on Taxpayers' Compliance Behaviour."
Selective List of Conferences and Seminars
- "Findings from a Randomised Controlled Trial on Hotspot Policing in the London Underground." Presented at the Cabinet Office Nudge and Beyond: Behavioural Science, Policy and Knowing What Works (London, 14 June 2012).
- "Electronic Monitoring`s Impact on Reoffending: A Systematic Review". Presented at the 12th Annual Jerry Lee Symposium, Washington DC, 23 April 2012).
- "Drug Treatment Interventions" Discussant at the "What has been learned from systematic reviews in criminology?" (Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 31 April, 2012).
- "Conducting Low Cost Experiments: A Workshop" Presented at the Annual American Society of Criminologists (Washington DC, November 06, 2011).
- "Hot Dots and Hot Lines: Analysis of Crime in London Underground." Presented at the Annual American Society of Criminologists (Washington DC, November 06, 2011).
- "Does Prison Work? Diversion Initiatives." Presented at the 2011 Cambridge Festival of Ideas, Judge Business School, Cambridge University (Cambridge 21 October, 2011).
- "London Underground Crime Data (2009-2011) & Operation 'BTP-LU-RCT'." Presented at the 4thd International NPIA-Cambridge Conference on Evidence-Based Policing (Cambridge, UK, July 05, 2011).
- "The Cambridge Randomiser." Presented at the 4thd International NPIA-Cambridge Conference on Evidence-Based Policing (Cambridge, UK, July 05, 2011).
- Jackson M., and Ariel B. "Data Driven Policing: Homicide Concentration and Distribution Patterns in London." Presented at the 4th International NPIA-Cambridge Conference on Evidence-Based Policing (Cambridge, UK, July 05, 2011).
- "Negotiating with Terrorists" Presented at the Indian SVP National Police Academy (Shivaramapalli, Hyderabad, India, December 29, 2010).
- "Judicial Evidence-Based Decision-Making: Lessons from Randomised Controlled Trials." Presented at the Annual Judges Conference, 2010 (Jerusalem, Israel, October 14, 2010).
- "Measuring Crime and Crime Mapping: The Promise of Experimental Criminology". Presented at the Annual Ministry of Internal Security Conference, 2010 (Rishon Letzion, October 07, 2010)
- "Repeat Victims of Anti-Social Behaviour: 358,682 Calls." Presented at the 3rd International NPIA-Cambridge Conference on Evidence-Based Policing (Cambridge, UK, July 06, 2010)
- "The General Deterrence Effect of Disintegrative Shaming on Tax Compliance: A Randomised Controlled Trial." Presented at the 5th Stockholm Criminology Symposium (Stockholm, Sweden, June 14, 2010).
- "Experiments in Targeting Hotspots". Presented at the 8th National Crime Mapping Conference (Plenary Speaker) (Manchester, UK, June 11, 2010).